1.What
type of business do you conduct?
I own a
Home-wares shop. It is currently a single store; we are hoping to develop in
the years to come.
2.Did you
commence the business?
Yes, about
5 years ago I began this shop/business. I had the opportunity as my kids were
growing up and they didn't need care all the time. I and also just ended my
previous job so I thought this was the perfect opportunity.
3.Who are
you customers?
As we are
a home-wares/art deco store we mainly aim our products at 30+ women. 4.What has been the most difficult thing about running the business?
Defiantly money or time. Money is a huge factor and can limit your ambitions to a certain extend. When we first began it was really tough having to borrow a lot of money and knowing it had to be all paid back, (to the bank). It took a few years to start to feel stable and comfortable.
Time was an issue but not one such a large scale. It was a bigger issue at the beginning, getting into the swing of things and a routine, especially with the kids but now its fine, expect at the busy periods, (Christmas).
5.What do
you believe is your most Entrepreneurial skill?
Belief.
Is hard to get but once you've got it, it is the key to success or not success.
You can go as far as you'd like as long as you have belief and know things can
succeeded and fail.
6.If
you'd start another business in the future, what would it be?
I'd
always thought it would be nice to start up a cute cafe in the Melbourne
Lane-ways but I don't think that area is quite for me as I can barely cook!
7.What
advice would you give someone starting out a business?
As I said
earlier Belief is the key! You need to be able to believe you can make it all
the way, but at the same time to expect it all to come overnight, your success.
So Belief and Patience. Also do what you love!
8.What
are your feelings about handing over your business to a successor, who is a
family member?
Over the
past year I have really got under control and things are starting to run really
well. I'm enjoying myself and that's what it's all about. So at this current
time I would consider them becoming part of the team, to help the success, but
I'm not ready to give it up yet.
9.Do you
have an office/shop or is your business sorely of the Internet?
My business
is actually only a single shop at the moment. We are looking to creating a
website in the near future and depending on how that goes whenever we set up
another store elsewhere.
10.How
long have you been in business?
We opened
the shop about 5 years ago but planning began between 1 year - 18 months before
prior too then.
11.What
inspired you do start your OWN business?
I never
thought I would be a business owner when I was younger as it sounded so hard
and out of reach, however after having children I began to think about it more
as it would mean I could chose my hours and do what I love. I guess you could
say it was my children.
12.How
far ahead to your make your business plans?
I'm not
one of those people that foresees the next 10 years. I look at about two years
at a time and then re-plan every so often. This helps me keep on task and I can
help plan depending what's the trend at that moment.
13.Would
you recommend starting up your own business?
Yes,
defiantly! You learn so much more about yourself, your limits and skills. It's
a lot of fun and worth the effort. If you stick to it success can come if you
take the right paths but defiantly give it a go!14.What is one thing you don't like about your job?
Probably having to tell people they didn't get the job they applied for. That's always difficult; I guess it's something you've just got to do.
15.If you
could have started up your business in any other country or city where would it
be?
I love
France and I think my shop would work well in their style; I can't speak French
though so that would have been an issue!
No comments:
Post a Comment